6 Career Questions You Must Ask Yourself
From time to time, it helps to check in with yourself and see that you are where you wish to be career-wise. Here are some career questions to help your reflection.
(Grab a pen and a piece of paper, or open a word document on your computer!)
1. WHO ARE YOU AS A PROFESSIONAL?
What’s your work ethic and working style? How do you contribute to a positive work environment, how do you balance your aspirations with those of your organization? How do you establish and maintain important professional relationships? What are you known for in your professional circles? What are you like at your best?
2. WHAT’S YOUR CAREER STRATEGY?
What do you want to achieve and in what timeframe? How do you push yourself into more ambitious places? How are you proactively managing where you go from here? How do you assess what options are available regarding the direction you want to go in? How do you make an informed decision on whether you are on the right career path?
3. HOW DO YOU HANDLE OBSTACLES?
Which of your own behaviors are becoming barriers and sabotaging you? How do you distill lessons from your mistakes? How do you navigate when you are outside of your comfort zone? How do you bounce back from setbacks? What do you need to develop to strengthen your resilience?
4. WHAT ALARM BELLS ARE YOU IGNORING?
How do you know when you’ve stopped growing? What excites you that you no longer make time to engage in? What lame reasons are you telling yourself for not doing what you know you ought to? What are you tolerating that’s hurting you or your prospects?
5. HOW DO YOU MANAGE SELF-DIRECTION?
How do you handle change? How do you adapt when you find yourself in a situation that is new to you? How do you handle uncertainty? How do you proceed when you have to handle an important responsibility without clear direction? What actions are you taking now that will prepare you better for challenges?
6. WHAT WILL PUT YOU IN THE TOP LEAGUE?
What are you doing or not doing that’s keeping you from making the top league? How are you building on your successes? Who are you intentionally learning from? How do you know when you are ready to compete at your next level?
Now take action:
Based on your answers to the above, what do you need to get better at? To invest in yourself for career success, buy these books:
1. Gears for Careers: How to Step Up Your Career and Professional Life by Vera Ng’oma. So what does it take to step up, stand out and keep an edge? In Gears for Careers, Vera Ng’oma addresses these questions and more with tips and advice that will help you expand your horizons, stretch your potential, push the envelope and thrive in whatever work environment you find yourself.
2. UNDETERRED: The Six Success Habits of Women in Emerging Economies by Rania Anderson. UNDETERRED is filled with the inspiring success stories of more than 250 relatable, professional women in Africa, Asia, Latin America, Eastern Europe and the Middle East, as well as specific actions you can take to advance in your career. Read the entire introduction for free here.